Sunday, March 4, 2012

Inventory 2012: Concealers and Highlighters

With most of the other inventory photos I've done, there's been a dawning revelation that I own much more than I thought I did, and I've been deluding myself that I have a 'normal' amount of makeup (and I mean normal by makeup junkie/blogger standards, not normal by normal person with one makeup bag and maybe an extra eyeshadow palette for getting tizzy on nights out standards). When I pulled out my concealers yesterday I discovered the opposite - I have far fewer than I thought I did. That's good, right? Or does it mean I need to go shopping for concealers...


Benefit Erase Paste No. 2: I have yet to find something that completely covers the dark circles under my eyes (permanent due to continual lack of sleep - I have always been a terrible sleeper), but this one does better than most others.

MAC Studio Finish Concealer NW20: I don't use this very often because I don't find it creamy enough for under the eyes, and I break out when I use it on my face.

Silk Naturals Cream Concealer #1 and #2: I wasn't going to include these as they are samples, but they seem to be lasting a long time even though I've used them a few times. I quite like them but I don't think I'd buy a full size - there's nothing spectacular about them.

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer Light and Medium: Again, doesn't quite cover the dark circles, but still a pretty good concealer. I reviewed it here.

Clinique Line Smoothing Concealer #02 Light: This is a shocker - it doesn't conceal lines at all. If I use it under my eyes it actually makes the lines more prominent. It's quite a thick consistency so it's useful for concealing redness in the cheeks, that's mostly what I use it for now.

Physicians Formula Concealer Twins Green/Light: I've been buying this for years for the green end - it's the best one I've found for covering redness on the cheeks and around the nose. I usually end up using all the green and then turfing it with the light barely touched. It's not that it's bad, I just never seem to remember to use that end. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to get hold of these - the Physicians Formula shelves of every Priceline I've been into for about the last year are looking sparse and craptastic. Not sure if they're discontinuing carrying the brand or if they're rebranding/repackaging or what. (Either way, it's pretty disgusting, Priceline - get your act together and clean up your dirty, empty displays once in a while. The Reject Shop is cleaner.)


I'm not a big fan of highlighters - they don't seem to do much of anything on me, and they seem like just an extra thing that someone out there has convinced us all we need.

Masquerade Professional Shimmer Powder: Not a company I'm familiar with - either Jade or Su sent me this ages ago. It looks like a weird olive colour in the photo (thanks to yet another overcast day in good old Radelaide), but it's actually a super shimmery off-white. Possibly too shimmery for me - I must have a bit of a play with this, I've never even used it.

inuovi Cosmetics Lumina: Another one I've never used - this is not as shimmery as the Masquerade, and more of a cream colour. Again, I really should have a crack at this and see what it's like.

Touche Éclat No. 2 Luminous Ivory: Meh. This is so over-rated I can't even. I use it all the time and it does absolutely nothing - I'm just using it because I'm determined to finish the damn thing.

Pixi Eye Bright Kit No. 2 and No. 1: More things I hardly use. The concealers in these are a bit greasy and too sheer to really do much of anything. I do occasionally use the pink highlight colours in the inner corner of my eye, though I recently found a light pink powder in an eyeshadow palette that I prefer for that purpose so these are not getting much of a look in at all nowadays.

I have to say I'm finding these posts are quite useful in convincing me I don't need to buy anything else. There was a fleeting thought in my head the other day about a nice blush I saw somewhere, immediately followed by 'ARE YOU CRAZY???'

17 comments:

  1. I think these posts are awesome! You know whats crazy, I don't own a single concealer. Unless you count the Darling Girl color correcter I have as a concealer. I did just order an IT Cosmetics concealer from QVC. This will be my first ever concealer purchase! Is this odd that I don't have any concealer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you're one of the few lucky people who doesn't need a concealer! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love these posts. With every category you do I head to my stash to count my own. I'm appalled at myself every time. d:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the erase paste make your eyes look dry / wrinkly at all after application? It's a pet peeve of mine when using concealer for the dark circles :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get a bit dry after a few hours, but it's not too bad at first. I usually try to use a serum or eye cream or sometimes even a silicone primer underneath first.

      Delete
  4. I completely agree about touche eclat! I gave mine to a friend as I find it's rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know a lot of people love it, but it does nothing at all for me.

      Delete
  5. I swapped away my Touche Eclat after I came to the same conclusion. But I did see it transform my friend's face. Not sure why it didn't have the same effect on me!

    As for undereye circles, mine's not too harsh but I don't mind if a little shadow peeps through the concealer. Makes me look like a normal human being. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to look like a photoshopped magazine human being!

      Delete
  6. I love this post cos I agree with almost everything... I've had the same experience with the MAC, Benefit, Maybelline and YSL concealers/highlighter. I dont wanna be encouraging you to shop anymore or anything but if you do happen to be on the lookout for a new concealer I've found the Maybelline Super Stay 24hr is brill. It actually conceals and doesnt leave the skin looking all gross n manky. Crazy, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have picked up and put down the Superstay in shops several times. Eventually I know I will crack and get it. :-)

      Delete
  7. Pretty sure they are repackaging Physicians Formula, the shelves at my local Priceline are bare and labelled as such. But Priceline kinda needs to get it together anyway, I'm seeing some pretty grotty displays there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when you see the pics of the US stuff like those cutesy blushes and whatnot, they have definitelyrebranded/reformulated. But all the Pricelines in my area have had that saddo, almost-but-not-quite-empty, grotty-looking display for a year or more. It's hideous.

      Delete
  8. I have the exact same problem. I have so much makeup that It makes me feel a bit sick. I was searching for some motivation to stop buying makeup...I seriously think it's an addiction for me. Glad I found someone with the same problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll find that a lot of beauty bloggers have the same problem. :-)

      For me I think it's because they're kind of small, fun things that I can have right now. I could save up for a $1000 handbag, but I couldn't afford to walk out the door and buy one the moment the mood hit me. However, I can do that with $50 of makeup. I'm all for the instant gratification!

      Delete
  9. I've always wondered if the Physician's Formula is any good, I always have a browse over it but can never decide if it's an el cheapo brand or possible wonder!

    Would love to see you over at iFabbo, your blog is fab. We're an international organisation for beauty, fashion and lifestyle bloggers. You can see what we're about and join us here http://ifabbo.com
    :)

    ReplyDelete