Monday, March 21, 2016

Gluten free is a drag

Day two of the gluten free experiment was yesterday, and frankly I don't know if I'll get any further. I find it a massive pain in the arse trying to figure out what has gluten, and since I discovered that both Milo and Vegemite contain it, I'm thinking that even if it did have some benefit to me I would not be giving it up entirely. Nuh uh, no way. That's just unAustralian.

So, I don't know - I'll give it a couple more days and see how I go. If I really can't be arsed maybe I'll just stop eating the main gluten things for a while - bread, cakes, etc. and not worry so much about the hidden stuff. I don't eat a lot of processed sauces and spreads so I can't be getting that much if I'm not stuffing toasted sandwiches down my throat.

Anyway, I'm not going to do this every day but here's what I ate yesterday (after the egg/mushroom/asparagus breakfast). I was starving because it's my laydee timez but I tried really hard to not cave to the lure of nachos and chocolate.


Gluten free toasted bread with Mayver's Original Super Spread. I've been eating salt and sugar free nut and seed butters for a couple of years, and now I cannot stand the taste of regular supermarket peanut butter. It just tastes so fake and weird.


Chicken salad - just grilled chicken seasoned with Mrs Dash chicken seasoning, lettuce, capsicum, cucumber and hard boiled egg. I use a smidge of olive oil and a tiny bit of either balsamic or apple cider vinegar to dress; I'm not a big fan of packaged dressings and I'm too lazy to get fancy with my own very often.


Right. So. This is called a 'blood pressure smoothie' and it's from a book about reversing heart disease and high blood pressure. It has beetroot, banana, dates, freshly ground linseed and freshly ground almonds, along with water. The dates were a bit hard to blend but it tasted a lot nicer than I expected. I don't think I could do one every day, but I'm going to try to do one at least every second day.


This was an interesting experiment. It's a recipe from Paleo Pete's Spiraliser book - zucchini noodles and chicken and pine nuts, with a sauce made from avocado, garlic, lemon and some other bits and pieces. I thought it was okay, but Noodles hated it. My main issue was that it had a heavy raw garlic taste, but I don't know if that was because the garlic in the sauce literally was raw or whether I just had particularly strong garlic. I also made my own gluten free garlic bread. See - day two of gluten free and I've had bread three times! Normally I would eat maybe 6 slices of bread a week. Regardless, I wasn't blown away by it and considering the fiddliness of putting together all the different components, I wouldn't bother with it again.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same about gluten free, I don't like pasta so I don't eat it but I do enjoy pizza or hot cross buns now and then. I feel like a total hypochondriac as I get older, I get weird ailments (bloating, reflux, mouth ulcers, dermatitis, rosacea) that I try to pin blame on various foods but ehh who knows.

    I do want a spralizer though hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are people who feel better when they don't eat gluten but I think also a lot of people over-diagnose themselves.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure there are people who feel better when they don't eat gluten but I think also a lot of people over-diagnose themselves.

      Delete