Monday, March 28, 2016

A couple of realisations and another two week experiment

Thing one: Gluten free is bollocks for me. I stuck it out for four days and then the annoyance of having to check every tiny ingredient got to me. Also, hot cross buns. Maybe I'll go back and seriously have a whack at it some time, but for now I have higher priorities. Like...

Thing two: Blood pressure. I ran out of my blood pressure medication a week ago and haven't been back to the doctor yet to get another prescription. And I decided before I do I'm going to give it two weeks and see if I can do any reducing sans drugs, using the information in the books I've been reading. I really hate taking blood pressure meds - the ones I have are a diuretic, and they are quite mild, but I suspect they must drain out potassium as my last couple of blood tests have shown potassium is a bit low, and I find I have been having a lot more muscle twitches, muscle pains and heart palpitations lately - classic signs of low potassium and/or magnesium for me. And I know what I need to do to improve my blood pressure - what I need to eat (and not eat), etc. It's just a matter of doing it.

One thing I've discovered is that although I'm pretty good during the week I fall down a rabbit hole of body mismanagement on weekends. Hence my weight fluctuating up and down the same 4 or 5 pounds for months, and the fact that my blood pressure readings are always worse on Monday morning than any other time (I don't take them on weekends, though I am going to start this week). For example, this morning:


  • 6:40 am - 170/107
  • 6:45 am - 143/103
  • 6:50 am - 162/107
During the week I eat plenty of vegetables and walk a lot. I drink tons of water and various herbal teas, have my smoothies, don't drink much alcohol (I'd say I don't drink any during the week, but lately there's been some bracket creep in that area, another thing I'm going to be trying to put a lid on in this two weeks). Come Friday, it's all out the window. I'll have run out of my home made breakfasts and lunches (or be too lazy by then to make them), I'll be cracking open the wine as soon as I get home for work, then later out come the crunchy salty snacks, and then after the market on Saturday it's bacon and eggs, etc. etc. 


This was my dinner a week ago - home made dal with a spoon of plain yoghurt and some naan. 


This was dinner Friday night. (I didn't eat all of that, just saying.)


This was my lunch on Monday, 


This was my lunch on Saturday. 

So you see where I'm going. 

My two week plan

  • Check blood pressure daily, morning and evening, including weekends. 
  • No alcohol.
  • No junk food or salty snacks. 
  • Hibiscus tea at least twice a day, preferably 3 or 4 times (I struggle to drink a lot of tea, I don't really enjoy hot drinks and my beverage of choice through the day is water). 
  • Blood pressure smoothie daily (beetroot, banana, dates, almond, linseed). Maybe add spinach for extra potassium. 
  • Keep track of salt and potassium intake. 
  • Take findings to doctor after two weeks and see what she's got to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment